Harriet Tubman featured in new mural to be dedicated July 21
Everyone is welcome to join in the dedication of a new mural featuring Harriet Tubman at 4pm on Friday, July 21 near the corner of Maryland Avenue and Route 50 in Cambridge, Maryland. The mural is the newest in a series of murals in Dorchester County, Maryland, where Tubman was Read more >
Harriet Tubman Performance by Millicent Sparks July 21
Harriet Tubman re-enactor Millicent Sparks performs at the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center on Friday, July 21 at 3:30pm. She gives a powerful, moving, inspiring performance. She also performed during the grand opening of the Tubman Visitor Center in March 2017. Free admission (both to the performance and the Read more >
Reflections on Pine commemorates civil rights July 20-23
The Underground Railroad wasn’t the only resistance movement to happen here in Dorchester County and Cambridge, Maryland. Fifty years ago, Cambridge was an important part of the civil rights movement. Reflections on Pine marks the 50th anniversary of civil unrest in Cambridge, following decades of economic and educational segregation. All Read more >
Recent media coverage about the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway:
- National Public Radio, “Harriet Tubman State Park opens on Maryland’s Eastern Shore,” March 13, 2017. Listen to the story on All Things Considered.
- Essence, “New Underground Railroad Center immerses visitors in Harriet Tubman legacy like never before,” March 13, 2017. Read the story.
- CBS News, “Emotional ceremony opens new Harriet Tubman site,” March 12, 2017. See the story.
- USA Today, “10 things you have to see in Harriet Tubman’s birthplace,” March 9, 2017. Read the story.
- Washington Post, “Harriet Tubman fled a life of slavery in Maryland. Now a new visitor center opens on the land she escaped,” March 4, 2017. Read the story.
- Baltimore Sun, “New Harriet Tubman Park presents the Dorchester County she grew up in, fled from,” March 3, 2017. Read the story.
- U.S. News & World Report, “11 attractions debuting in 2017 worth traveling for,” March 2, 2017. Read the story.
- New York Times, “Harriet Tubman’s Path to Freedom,” Feb. 24, 2017. Read the full story or see the interactive version.
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference
May 18-21 conference gathers scholars, historians, enthusiasts
The National Park Service, National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program and the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference co-host a joint conference, “On the Edge of Freedom: Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad in the Borderlands.” In Cambridge, MD. Find out more.
Harriet Tubman & the Songs of Freedom
May 19 and 20
Acclaimed jazz musician Marcus Shelby performs original music inspired by Harriet Tubman’s life with two performances May 19 and 20. The May 19 performance is limited to those attending the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference. Shelby will perform during the dinner on Friday night. On Saturday, May 20, the public is welcome to watch Shelby perform at 7pm at Layton’s Chance Winery, 4225 New Bridge Rd, Vienna, MD 21869. Find out more.