Grand opening events happening March 10-12
Join in a weekend of events celebrating the opening of the new Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center near Cambridge, Maryland. Several events are planned, both on-site and in the area. All the events at the Tubman Visitor Center are free of charge. Some of the area events require tickets. Read More >
Tubman-related events roundup for 2017
We're unofficially declaring 2017 the Year of Tubman. With the opening of the new Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center in March, two movie projects in the works about Tubman's life, a plan to have her likeness on the U.S. $20 bill, interest in her life has never been greater. Several events will be happening in the area of the Harriet Tubman Byway to celebrate her life. Here's a listing of what's planned. We are adding more events as we hear of them. Read more >
Unveiling of Harriet Tubman Portrait
An original oil painting of Harriet Tubman will be officially unveiled during an open house from 1 to 3pm on Saturday, Feb. 18 at the Harriet Tubman Museum and Education Center in Cambridge, MD. The event is happening in honor of the grand opening of the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center in March. Read more >
Recent media coverage about the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway:
- New York Times, “Harriet Tubman’s Path to Freedom.” Feb. 24, 2017. Experience the story.
- WMDT-TV, “The Life and Legacy of Harriet Tubman.” Feb. 24, 2017. See Part 1 and Part 2.
- Best Things Maryland, “15 of the Most Unusual Attractions in Maryland,” Feb. 22, 2017. Read the story.
- WTOP-TV, “Harriet Tubman Memorial Park to Open in Maryland.” Feb. 20, 2017. See the story.
- WBAL-TV, “11 TV Hill Celebrates Maryland Black Women Who Made History.” Feb. 19, 2017. See the story.
- Star-Democrat, “Harriet Tubman Painting Unveiled in Cambridge.” Feb. 19, 2017. Read the story.
- Recreation News, “New Maryland Park Celebrates Harriet Tubman’s Dorchester County Roots.” February 2017. Read the story.
- AAA World, “Homage to a hero.” January/Feburary 2017. Read the story.
- Eat, Move, Make, “Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center opens March 11” January 15, 2017. Read the story.
Harriet Tubman: Defender
March 4 play celebrates the life of Harriet Tubman
Celebrate the life and heroism of a true American patriot in the original one-person play, “Harriet Tubman: Defender” at 7pm on Saturday, March 4, 2017. Through narrative, song, and visual projections, experience both the pain and elation of being free from the binds of slavery. The play stars Eunice Lewis-Seagraves and is a production of the Heralds of Hope Theater. Tickets cost $10 each. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Harriet Tubman Museum and Educational Center. Purchase tickets in advance at EventBrite.com or by calling 410-228-3131. A limited number of tickets will be sold at the door if available. At the Dorchester Center for the Arts, 321 High St., Cambridge, MD 21613.
Harriet Tubman Banquet
This annual dinner celebrates the life of Harriet Tubman at 2:45pm on Saturday, March 11. Sponsored by the Harriet Tubman Organization. This year’s theme is “Harriet Ross Tubman is Home, We Thank You – Part III.” Cost is $40 per person. At Minnette Dick Hall (St. Mary’s Church), 2002 Hambrooks Blvd, Cambridge, MD 21613. For information or tickets, call 410-228-0401 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.