Tubman-related events roundup for 2017
We're unofficially declaring 2017 the Year of Tubman. With the opening of the new Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center in March, two movie projects in the works about Tubman's life, a plan to have her likeness on the U.S. $20 bill, interest in her life has never been greater. Several events will be happening in the area of the Harriet Tubman Byway to celebrate her life. Here's a listing of what's planned. We are adding more events as we hear of them. Read more >
Grand opening events happening March 10-12
Join in a weekend of events celebrating the opening of the new Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center near Cambridge, Maryland. Several events are planned, both on-site and in the area. All the events at the Tubman Visitor Center are free of charge. Some of the area events require tickets. Read More >
Unveiling of Harriet Tubman Portrait
An original oil painting of Harriet Tubman will be officially unveiled during an open house from 1 to 3pm on Saturday, Feb. 18 at the Harriet Tubman Museum and Education Center in Cambridge, MD. The event is happening in honor of the grand opening of the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Visitor Center in March. Read more >
Recent media coverage about the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway:
- National Public Radio, “Harriet Tubman State Park opens on Maryland’s Eastern Shore,” March 13, 2017. Listen to the story on All Things Considered.
- Essence, “New Underground Railroad Center immerses visitors in Harriet Tubman legacy like never before,” March 13, 2017. Read the story.
- CBS News, “Emotional ceremony opens new Harriet Tubman site,” March 12, 2017. See the story.
- USA Today, “10 things you have to see in Harriet Tubman’s birthplace,” March 9, 2017. Read the story.
- Washington Post, “Harriet Tubman fled a life of slavery in Maryland. Now a new visitor center opens on the land she escaped,” March 4, 2017. Read the story.
- Baltimore Sun, “New Harriet Tubman Park presents the Dorchester County she grew up in, fled from,” March 3, 2017. Read the story.
- U.S. News & World Report, “11 attractions debuting in 2017 worth traveling for,” March 2, 2017. Read the story.
- New York Times, “Harriet Tubman’s Path to Freedom,” Feb. 24, 2017. Read the full story or see the interactive version.
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference
May 18-21 conference gathers scholars, historians, enthusiasts
The National Park Service, National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program and the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference co-host a joint conference, “On the Edge of Freedom: Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad in the Borderlands.” In Cambridge, MD. Find out more.
Harriet Tubman & the Songs of Freedom
May 19 and 20
Acclaimed jazz musician Marcus Shelby performs original music inspired by Harriet Tubman’s life with two performances May 19 and 20. The May 19 performance is limited to those attending the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference. Shelby will perform during the dinner on Friday night. On Saturday, May 20, the public is welcome to watch Shelby perform at 7pm at Layton’s Chance Winery, 4225 New Bridge Rd, Vienna, MD 21869. Find out more.