Tubman Banquet is March 14
The Harriet Tubman Banquet celebrates the life of a freedom fighter, scout, spy, nurse and abolitionist born in Dorchester County, Maryland. The banquet begins at 2:45pm on Saturday, March 14, 2015, at the Dorchester Center for the Arts, 321 High Street in Cambridge, Maryland. The theme is “Harriet Ross Tubman Read more >
Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill?
Could Harriet Tubman end up on the $20 bill? It's possible! A grassroots movement, Women on 20s, is pushing to replace Andrew Jackson with a historic U.S. woman. And the woman they selected -- with help from more than 600,000 people who voted -- is Harriet Tubman! (They started with Read more >
Tubman UGRR Conference Registration Now Open
Registration is now open for the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference, happening in Cambridge, Maryland, on June 5 and 6, 2015. The annual event features two days of workshops about Harriet Tubman and other freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad -- as well as opportunities for local tours through the Read more >
Recent media coverage about the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway:
- National Public Radio, “Harriet Tubman State Park opens on Maryland’s Eastern Shore,” March 13, 2017. Listen to the story on All Things Considered.
- Essence, “New Underground Railroad Center immerses visitors in Harriet Tubman legacy like never before,” March 13, 2017. Read the story.
- CBS News, “Emotional ceremony opens new Harriet Tubman site,” March 12, 2017. See the story.
- USA Today, “10 things you have to see in Harriet Tubman’s birthplace,” March 9, 2017. Read the story.
- Washington Post, “Harriet Tubman fled a life of slavery in Maryland. Now a new visitor center opens on the land she escaped,” March 4, 2017. Read the story.
- Baltimore Sun, “New Harriet Tubman Park presents the Dorchester County she grew up in, fled from,” March 3, 2017. Read the story.
- U.S. News & World Report, “11 attractions debuting in 2017 worth traveling for,” March 2, 2017. Read the story.
- New York Times, “Harriet Tubman’s Path to Freedom,” Feb. 24, 2017. Read the full story or see the interactive version.
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference
May 18-21 conference gathers scholars, historians, enthusiasts
The National Park Service, National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program and the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference co-host a joint conference, “On the Edge of Freedom: Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad in the Borderlands.” In Cambridge, MD. Find out more.
Harriet Tubman & the Songs of Freedom
Acclaimed jazz musician Marcus Shelby performs original music inspired by Harriet Tubman’s life with two performances May 19-21. One performance will happen at the Dorchester Center for the Arts in Cambridge, MD. Another performance is planned at Layton’s Chance Winery in Vienna, MD. Find out more.