Tubman Banquet is March 14
The Harriet Tubman Banquet celebrates the life of a freedom fighter, scout, spy, nurse and abolitionist born in Dorchester County, Maryland. The banquet begins at 2:45pm on Saturday, March 14, 2015, at the Dorchester Center for the Arts, 321 High Street in Cambridge, Maryland. The theme is “Harriet Ross Tubman Read more >
Harriet Tubman on the $20 bill?
Could Harriet Tubman end up on the $20 bill? It's possible! A grassroots movement, Women on 20s, is pushing to replace Andrew Jackson with a historic U.S. woman. And the woman they selected -- with help from more than 600,000 people who voted -- is Harriet Tubman! (They started with Read more >
Tubman UGRR Conference Registration Now Open
Registration is now open for the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference, happening in Cambridge, Maryland, on June 5 and 6, 2015. The annual event features two days of workshops about Harriet Tubman and other freedom seekers on the Underground Railroad -- as well as opportunities for local tours through the Read more >
Recent media coverage about the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Byway:
- National Public Radio, “Harriet Tubman State Park opens on Maryland’s Eastern Shore,” March 13, 2017. Listen to the story on All Things Considered.
- Essence, “New Underground Railroad Center immerses visitors in Harriet Tubman legacy like never before,” March 13, 2017. Read the story.
- CBS News, “Emotional ceremony opens new Harriet Tubman site,” March 12, 2017. See the story.
- USA Today, “10 things you have to see in Harriet Tubman’s birthplace,” March 9, 2017. Read the story.
- Washington Post, “Harriet Tubman fled a life of slavery in Maryland. Now a new visitor center opens on the land she escaped,” March 4, 2017. Read the story.
- Baltimore Sun, “New Harriet Tubman Park presents the Dorchester County she grew up in, fled from,” March 3, 2017. Read the story.
- U.S. News & World Report, “11 attractions debuting in 2017 worth traveling for,” March 2, 2017. Read the story.
- New York Times, “Harriet Tubman’s Path to Freedom,” Feb. 24, 2017. Read the full story or see the interactive version.
Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference
May 18-21 conference gathers scholars, historians, enthusiasts
The National Park Service, National Underground Railroad Network to Freedom Program and the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference co-host a joint conference, “On the Edge of Freedom: Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad in the Borderlands.” In Cambridge, MD. Find out more.
Harriet Tubman & the Songs of Freedom
May 19 and 20
Acclaimed jazz musician Marcus Shelby performs original music inspired by Harriet Tubman’s life with two performances May 19 and 20. The May 19 performance is limited to those attending the Harriet Tubman Underground Railroad Conference. Shelby will perform during the dinner on Friday night. On Saturday, May 20, the public is welcome to watch Shelby perform at 7pm at Layton’s Chance Winery, 4225 New Bridge Rd, Vienna, MD 21869. Find out more.